National Poetry Month 2023
April is National Poetry Month, and Fairfax County is celebrating in some style. ArtsFairfax has joined forces with Fairfax Poet Laureate Danielle Badra and her project “Poetry in the Parks” to put on a month-long homage to contemporary poetry.
Throughout April, 14 members of the community will step forward to share the words that most inspire them. Some participants are poets themselves and will read from their own work. Others will read the words of writers they admire. Together, this mix of professional poets and passionate amateurs will help the entire county enjoy the power of verse and the beauty of language.
Spoken poetry is an interactive experience, and the listener plays just as large a role as the reader. As you enjoy the poetry on offer, be sure to follow along on social media and let Danielle Badra and ArtsFairfax know what you think! The world of art becomes a whole lot richer when the audience gets involved.
About ArtsFairfax National Poetry Month
(County Magazine, Channel 16, May 2022)
- 3Penny Gross - Fairfax County Board of Supervisors Reads “A Bird Came Down the Walk” By Emily Dickinson
- 5Anthony Amos - Legislative and Community Outreach Aide, Office of Supervisor Pat Herrity Reads “Memories Forgotten” By Anthony Amos
- 7Kara Oakleaf - Director of Fall for the Book Reads “Instructions on Not Giving Up” By Ada Limon
- 10Hughes Davidson - Poet Reads “The Moths” By Mary Oliver
- 12Ashley Morris - CEO of Celebrate Fairfax Reads “To make a prairie” By Emily Dickinson
- 14Karl Frisch - Fairfax County School Board - Providence District Reads “The Slave Auction” By Frances Ellen Watkins Harper
- 17Edith Graciela Sanabria - Poet, Martha Washington Library Group Reads “My Teacher" By Edith Graciela Sanabria
- 18Daniel Bustios - Teacher Reads “Coplas a la Muerte de Su Padre" By Jorge Manrique
- 19Laura Anderko - VP of Fairfax Master Naturalists Reads “Wild Geese" By Mary Oliver
- 20Sarah Wysocki - Teacher Reads “Humble Dazzle" By Gregory Orr
- 24Leeya Mehta - Interim Director for the Alan Cheuse International Writer's Center Reads “Mother's Day" By Leeya Mehta
- 25Caroline Weinroth - Poet, Musician, Songwriter Reads “Insights from a Telescope" By Caroline Weinroth
- 26Scott Cryer - ArtsFairfax Board Chair Reads “The Summer Day" By Mary Oliver
- 27Danielle Badra - Fairfax Poet Laureate Reads “One Wild and Precious Life" By Danielle Badra
The Fairfax County Poet Laureate Program is designed to raise the visibility of poetry through the leadership of a local poet. Visit ArtsFairfax/Poetry for more information.