Summer Art Camp Instructor
Tephra Institute of Contemporary Art (Tephra ICA) is hiring a Camp Instructor for 2021 Summer Art Camp. Presented in partnership with Reston Association (RA), Tephra ICA Summer Art Camp provides a safe and educational environment for campers to explore contemporary and historical art through artmaking, critical thinking, and creative play. Summer Art Camp 2021 will be held in RA’s Glade Recreation Area.
The Tephra ICA Summer Art Camp Instructor will provide enthusiastic and thorough direction in visual art to camp participants during the six week period of June 28 –August 6. The Summer Art Camp Instructor will lead all summer camp sessions and will collaborate with Tephra ICA staff to develop and implement fun, engaging, educational content. The Summer Art Camp Instructor will report directly to Tephra ICA’s Education Manager and Executive Director.
• Collaborating with the Education Manager and the Summer Camp Administrator to plan daily and weekly art projects/lessons, games, and recreation time that are developmentally appropriate, intellectually engaging, and applicable to the theme of the camp week. This responsibility will be performed during the spring prior to the beginning of camp and will include some paid planning/meeting time.
• Acting as the primary instructor for all camp sessions. The Summer Art Camp Instructor is assisted by the Summer Art Camp Administrator, as well as high school and college Interns.
• Daily and weekly camp set-up and break-down, including cleaning and organization of materials with the assistance of Camp Administrator and Interns.
• Acting as contact to Reston Association (RA) and camper parents/guardians whenever necessary, for example when Camp Administrator is unavailable.
• Additional tasks as required.
The Summer Art Camp Instructor must have excellent classroom management skills, experience planning for a range of skill and age levels, and be comfortable using technology in the classroom. The ideal candidate will have an art education certification, several years of experience as an elementary art teacher, and the ability to create high-quality content that is engaging and appropriate for a fun summer camp environment.
• Sessions are one week each and run June 28–August 6, 2021
• Campers range in ages 6-10
• Daily work hours are 8:30am–4:30pm, Monday–Friday; campers are present 9am-4pm
• Compensation is $20/hour
Interested individuals should submit a cover letter, resume, and contact information for two references to the Education Manager, Sarah Berenz, at email@example.com.
My Mom Would Never Let Me Do That!
Explore the possibilities of art! Using a variety of materials, this session combines scientific
exploration and the creative process to create the messiest and silliest of art projects. Come make
art at camp that your parents would never let you do in the house!
In this camp, kids investigate all things 3-D! From blankets to boxes, we cover the basics of
building the best forts ever! Campers will spend their days creating new spaces to explore and will
come away with a basic understanding of engineering, and a fort of their own to take home!
Fibers & Friends! Tie-Dye, Friendship Bracelets, and More!
Have you ever wondered how a spider builds its web, how a bird weaves a nest, how your friend
made such an AWESOME key chain? Become a wonder-weaver as we explore all things fiber—
tie-dyeing, friendship bracelets, basketry, and more!
Wondrous World of Art
Ready, set, jet! Campers in this session will spend the week exploring different global cultures and
their art making processes across time and space. By considering both contemporary work and
traditional craft, campers will create projects inspired by the diverse art of our world.