The Director of Communications, a senior leadership position, is responsible for meeting organizational priorities and strategies for ArtsFairfax’s communications services and for executing the organization’s strategic plan. This will include all communications, public relations, website, digital media and collateral to consistently articulate ArtsFairfax’s mission, strengthen brand awareness and provide timely information to key constituencies. The Director is expected to represent ArtsFairfax positively to all constituencies: the general public, arts & cultural community, county and elected officials, and media. The position also oversees arts information collection and utilization. The position manages a full-time Digital Media and Outreach Manager. Additional full and/or part-time positions are projected in the next year.
- Plan and manage communications services to achieve ArtsFairfax mission, goals, and strategic objectives
- Promote ArtsFairfax and share information about the arts in Fairfax County through website, social media, press releases and media coverage, and various information vehicles to the general public and arts and cultural community, and other constituencies.
- Establish goals and metrics for ArtsFairfax communications, analyze results, and provide reports on activities.
- Manage ArtsFairfax’s website and Google Ad Grant.
- Actively engage, cultivate, and manage press relationships.
- Lead the development, distribution, and maintenance of all print and electronic collateral including, but not limited to, newsletters, brochures, blogs, annual report, e-newsletters, videos, and arts event listings for the Fairfax County website.
- Develop and implement promotional strategies for ArtsFairfax including specific programs and services, e.g. Grants, Arts Awards, Artist Residency Program, Public Art and Creative Spaces activities.
- Develop and coordinate feedback mechanisms and/or activities to obtain information on the needs and health of the local arts and cultural sector.
- Manage one full-time position for social media, website and other assignments as needed and intern or contractual services as needed.
- Manage communications technology and support contracts.
- Prepare talking points, speeches, presentations, and other supporting material as needed for public presentations.
- Serve as staff manager to ArtsFairfax Board Communications Committee (advisory).
- Develop cross promotional partnerships with county agencies and community organizations.
- Develop and manage information services annual budget in coordination with President & CEO.
- Plan and manage the collection of arts information and data to produce reports that support communication services, advocacy, and ArtsFairfax’s planning and evaluation of mission services.
- Work with Americans for the Arts’ Arts Economic Prosperity report to gather local arts information once every five years for national arts impact comparison and local arts advocacy. Supervise contractor to assist in this process.
- Gather and analyze external information relative to arts activity, funding, policies, and services, as needed.
- Gather and analyze internal information to utilize in planning and services (i.e. data culled from grant. applications, community surveys, and other market studies).
- Manage intern and/or contractual services as needed
Experience and Skills Required:
- Bachelor’s degree in a relevant field, and Masters preferred.
- Appropriate level of experience in related communications, marketing, and/or public relations.
- Highly effective written and verbal communications skills with strong editing skills.
- Ability to plan, initiate and complete tasks and projects independently.
- Ability to work collaboratively in a team environment.
- Demonstrated supervisory ability.
- Ability to work diplomatically with all constituencies: the public, media and promotional partners, arts and cultural community, funders, and board and staff.
- Experience with information management systems, email campaign management (Constant Contact preferred), web design and HTML (WordPress preferred), Microsoft Office Suite, communication tools (Hootsuite, Canva, Trello, ZenDesk, Slack) and social media platforms (Facebook, Twitter, LinkedIn, Instagram, YouTube, TikTok)
ArtsFairfax (Arts Council of Fairfax County, Inc.) is a 501(c)3 local arts service organization that promotes the arts in Fairfax County and provides arts information services to the arts community. We provide direct grants to arts organizations and artists in all disciplines and connect the arts with the greater community through information, public art, artists residencies, educational workshops, and creative collaborations. We produce arts related master plans for the County and collect and disseminate arts related data to share with all constituents. We strive to make the arts accessible to all and advance the creative landscape for a prosperous Fairfax County. ArtsFairfax has 9 full-time staff and an annual operating budget of $1.6M.
ArtsFairfax Diversity Statement:
Diversity fuels creativity. Creativity fuels the arts. ArtsFairfax embraces diversity in everything we do because diverse perspectives, diverse influences, and diverse audiences help our community thrive. By including Fairfax County’s wonderful panoply of cultures, races, generations, and orientations in the Arts, we enrich everyone’s lives.
How To Apply:
E-mail resume & cover letter to HR@artsfairfax.org. No calls please. Only selected candidates will be contacted for interviews. Position open until filled.