Role of the Fine Arts Teacher in the Residency
This residency is designed to support specific curriculum goals of language arts, history, social studies and music. The historical context is post-civil war American History with emphasis on the African American experience in the South. Songwriting applications focus on sensory specific and figurative creative writing and may refer to character development, mood and poetry.
The teacher may choose to focus on Social Studies, Language Arts, and/or Music and may further customize the residency within the subject area. Specific instructions for the songwriting project (subject, length, etc.) may be developed for each core group collaboratively by the teacher and the artist in residence.
The classroom teacher is asked to collaborate with the Resident Artist to support and enhance the program on an ongoing basis throughout the residency, including but not limited to the following:
• Suggestions for student groupings,
• Classroom discussions and examples,
• Opening and closing activities or successful teaching techniques students are familiar with,
• Providing feedback/input/encouragement into the creative processes planned as part of the classroom activities, and
• Adaptations for students with special needs.