Next week representatives of the Arts Council of Fairfax County will travel to Richmond, Virginia for the 2013 ArtWorks Conference on January 29 & 30, 2013 and State Arts Advocacy Day on January 31st, 2013.
Many of our non-profit arts organizations in Fairfax County receive direct funding from the Virginia Commission for the Arts (VCA). State wide VCA grants during FY2012 resulted in 9,111 Virginians in full-time and part-time jobs and 8.3 million people attended over 37,000 arts events made possible through VCA funding. The VCA provided $3,362,374 for arts grants in FY13. The state advocacy organization for the arts Virginians for the Arts short term goal for the VCA is to increase its grants funding budget by $350,000 in FY14 with a long-term goal of $1 per citizen.
On Thursday, January 31, 2013 starting at 9AM, we have scheduled several meetings with the following State Delegates and Senators at the Virginia General Assembly.
- Barbara A. Favola, 31st District, Senate of Virginia
- Linda T. Puller, 36th District, Senate of Virginia
- Mark L. Keam, 35th District, Virginia House of Delegates
- Kenneth R. Plum, 36th District, Virginia House of Delegates
- David L. Bulova, 37th District, Virginia House of Delegates
- Timothy D. Hugo, 40th District, Virginia House of Delegates
- David B. Albo, 42nd District, Virginia House of Delegates
- Mark D. Sickles, 43rd District, Virginia House of Delegates
- Scott A. Surovell, 44th District, Virginia House of Delegates
- Robert H. Brink, 48th District, Virginia House of Delegates
- James M. Scott, 53rd District, Virginia House of Delegates
- James M. LeMunyon, 67th District, Virginia House of Delegates
The arts are essential to a thriving community, creating a sense of place and fueling social and economic growth. We hope you can join us in our efforts to advocate on behalf of State funding for the arts.
Linda S. Sullivan
President and CEO